Skip to main content

Lucie and the Problem of Evil

Lucie has suddenly started questioning things. And by things, I mean eternal things.

It all started when she asked if I would read her a bedtime story from the Bible storybook. The book opens innocently enough with the story of creation. There are lions and tigers and bears, and naked people being created from dust. (At this point in the story you’d think questions would arise, but no, kids just seem to go along with it at face value. Which is exactly the reason I've had to work so hard to convince Lucie that turtleneck shirts are not actually made from the necks of turtles.)

Anyways ...

"Do you know why Adam and Eve are sad?" I asked, pointing at the picture of them sorrowfully leaving the garden. "I sure do, " Lucie assured me. "They are sad because they don't have any parents."  Impressive, huh? Clearly, she’d been processing and following along. "Well there is that," I prodded her, "and also they have to leave the beautiful garden because they disobeyed God."

"Of course they were bad," Lucie sighed in complete exasperation. "Remember??? There aren't any parents??"

A mere three pages into the book comes Cain and Abel, who slaughter a lamb for sacrifice and then turn their weapons on each other. Followed up by Noah who floats off in his ark while the rest of humanity drowns. This is Quentin Tarentino movie material, not the stuff sweet dreams are made of. We looked at the picture of Cain laying a lamb on the altar for a long time as Lucie tried to wrap her mind around a God who asked for death and sacrifice. I could tell it was a bit of religious whiplash for her to go from the cozy nativity story to the brutality of Genesis.

That night we got to close with the rainbow, but I know how the book ends and the lessons that lay ahead. In the meantime, I'll continue to gloss over the facts behind Baby Moses' river adventure, and leave the bigger questions to Lucie. Like whether or not it rains where God is? Or does God ever have to go potty?

Comments

Unknown said…
This is PRICELESS. I love reading every word you write....keep them coming my friend -- you truly have a gift.

Julie
I agree with Julie - I'm so glad you're blogging again! I could read your stuff all day long!! Boy, do we miss you all!
Anonymous said…
Haha, I got "Does God eat butter?" when we were having popcorn one night. I said "If God eats food like we do than I suppose he eats butter." Lucie responded "Yeah, you're right, God probably eats healthy food." These are the big questions.
Anonymous said…
Haha, I got "Does God eat butter?" when we were having popcorn one night. I said "If God eats food like we do than I suppose he eats butter." Lucie responded "Yeah, you're right, God probably eats healthy food." These are the big questions.

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Like A Box of Chocolate

According to experts, chocolate is now good for you. Feel guilt no longer; chocolate is actually good for the heart, brain and libido. Can I get an amen?  That is more than the permission the kids and I needed to visit Papa during his shift at the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. If you ever find yourself cruising down I-5 through the nothingness of Lathrop, do something sweet for yourself and pit stop at Ghirardelli's ice cream shop. At $5 each, the "World Famous Hot Fudge Sundae" will not disappoint. The smell alone is enough to get your dopamine levels rising, keeping travelers bellied up to the bar like alcoholics on a binge. Thankfully, you can't get pulled over for driving home under the influence of an over-sized sundae. Although, judging by the giddiness and volume of some of the pint-sized patrons, I'd say the hot fudge can definitely affect your judgement. Life may be like a box of chocolates, but in this case, you definitely know what you are g

Boogie Night

Nanny Lauren was married this evening. The nuptials were celebrated with twilight toasts at the Maritime Museum, followed by dancing and merriment. Lucie couldn't stop gushing over Lauren's beautiful gown and the flowers in her hair. She sashayed around the dance floor and twirled her own frock, pausing long enough to do the worm and bust a couple of moves. Grayson was annoyed with all of the glass tinkling and the kissing that followed, but couldn't be stopped once the dance music began. The boy owned the dance floor. The sprinkler, running man, Egyptian, even his moonwalk brought the house down. Lucie was worried on the way home, though, that her participation in the wedding dance meant that she too was now married. "My want flowers in my hair when I get married," she says. "But my want pink ones."