Skip to main content

Laying Low


Wagner #5 has gotten fed up with the cramped conditions and decided to leave the nest early.

It started on Tuesday while watching "Wonder Pets" with Lucie and a sudden gush of blood. I can almost laugh now about Rob's initial reaction, walking in from the garage in response to my screaming and asking in confusion, as I stood in a puddle of blood, "What are you doing bleeding like that?" He recovered quickly and took charge and then used his EMT skills to run 3 red lights with our little white van on the way to the hospital. My angel of a friend Julie was on our doorstep in a flash to whisk away the children, and even cleaned up the blood and did the dishes and some math problems with Grayson. Karen fed them, Chris cuddled them, and I am overwhelmed by their TRUE friendship.

I had neither a bag packed nor the presence of mind to give any instructions for packing one, and the only thing that Rob grabbed as we ran out the door was my Easter dress from 2 years ago. Guess he wanted me to look pretty.

The best sight of all was walking into the hospital and being greeted by Dr. Sofici, the doctor who has done sonograms on all of the kids and specializes in high risk pregnancies and whom I adore and trust. He happened to be checking another patient and had the sonogram machine all geared up and waiting for us and was able to reassure us of the baby's health within just a few minutes of arriving. He said that the baby weighs 4.5 pounds and gave me an injection to help develop the baby's lungs rapidly. If we can keep it in for another week, they won't try and stop it after that. So, although we don't know quite what is going on (possible burst blood vessel?), as Dr. Sofici says, "We are ahead of the 8 ball just in case."

Although I'm thankful to be home now, the contractions haven't stopped, which sends me into a minor panic every once in a while, and puts the pressure on Rob to cook and clean and entertain the kids. He told Grayson to get dressed for school yesterday, and Grayson said, "I can't. Mom didn't set out my clothes." So Rob told him to wear an outfit that he's worn before because then we know it matches. So Grayson put on the same clothes from the day before and Rob just shrugged his shoulders and said, "OK, that works." Lucie is still a little traumatized by the blood (she asks about it frequently with her face all squished up) and keeps trying to stick Band-Aids under my dress.

So Baby Wagner, as your mother, I'm sending you back to your room for at least a 6-day time out, with love. Trust me, if history repeats itself, you'll suddenly find it too comfortable to leave and I'll be forced to evict you anyways.

Comments

Chris said…
Hope it's not too soon after to post this, but all I could think about when I read your post is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVDGu82FeQ

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Like A Box of Chocolate

According to experts, chocolate is now good for you. Feel guilt no longer; chocolate is actually good for the heart, brain and libido. Can I get an amen?  That is more than the permission the kids and I needed to visit Papa during his shift at the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. If you ever find yourself cruising down I-5 through the nothingness of Lathrop, do something sweet for yourself and pit stop at Ghirardelli's ice cream shop. At $5 each, the "World Famous Hot Fudge Sundae" will not disappoint. The smell alone is enough to get your dopamine levels rising, keeping travelers bellied up to the bar like alcoholics on a binge. Thankfully, you can't get pulled over for driving home under the influence of an over-sized sundae. Although, judging by the giddiness and volume of some of the pint-sized patrons, I'd say the hot fudge can definitely affect your judgement. Life may be like a box of chocolates, but in this case, you definitely know what you are g

15 Years Ago Today ...