Skip to main content

Mom is Not A Doormat


Rob left yesterday for his third tour in Washington DC and I am determined to make this summer alone at home with the kids the best ever. I’ve calendared play dates and sleepovers and train rides and zoo outings and story times. It is only day two and already I’m busting my hump with crafts and lemonade and building forts and homemade play dough.  And in between I’m attempting to turn my little sideline freelance business into a livelihood.

Enter here the children, those ungrateful little nitwits, who make Veruca Salt look like a saint. These are children who aren’t afraid to injure one another over the last yogurt with the rabbit cartoon on it. They scoop Nutella from the jar with their fingers and then, after using shirts as napkins, criticize and reject the nutritious meal I’ve laboriously prepared for them. Their bodies go limp with injustice when I ask them to put on clothes or even, heaven forbid, brush their teeth. They are constantly touching one another and then screaming for me to make it stop. They are perfectly content to watch TV wearing only a cape and underwear for 18-hours a day.

But wait, this was going to be the best summer ever! Just the four of us, spending fun-filled days together in the neighborhood pool, going on lovely excursions to parks and the beach. We were supposed to be bonding and laughing and playing and exploring and having fun with each other. I’m not supposed to be screaming at them every five minutes that if they don’t stop hurting and teasing each other, then there are going to be serious consequences!

No, apparently, this summer is about delivering everything the kids want exactly when the little darlings want it, even though their behavior doesn’t warrant a reward. And I’m exhausted. I have completely stopped caring who started it, or who grabbed who, or who had the remote control first. I really just don’t give a crap. All I want is for the whining and the crying and the tattling to stop. 

So my summer of love has not started off as the love fest that I thought it would be. These are good lessons, though. I’m learning to roar and may end up going full-out tiger mom on my kids. And I’m definitely going to be seeking out schools with a year-round schedule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Like A Box of Chocolate

According to experts, chocolate is now good for you. Feel guilt no longer; chocolate is actually good for the heart, brain and libido. Can I get an amen?  That is more than the permission the kids and I needed to visit Papa during his shift at the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. If you ever find yourself cruising down I-5 through the nothingness of Lathrop, do something sweet for yourself and pit stop at Ghirardelli's ice cream shop. At $5 each, the "World Famous Hot Fudge Sundae" will not disappoint. The smell alone is enough to get your dopamine levels rising, keeping travelers bellied up to the bar like alcoholics on a binge. Thankfully, you can't get pulled over for driving home under the influence of an over-sized sundae. Although, judging by the giddiness and volume of some of the pint-sized patrons, I'd say the hot fudge can definitely affect your judgement. Life may be like a box of chocolates, but in this case, you definitely know what you are g

15 Years Ago Today ...