Skip to main content

Love is in the air



I love weddings. Well, there is the cake, obviously. And a good excuse to get dressed up and indulge in an excess of family photographs.

But a good thing gets a bazillion times better when my very own kids get to participate in the wedding party. There just isn't any greater parenting reward then to see them walking down the aisle, all spit-shined, tuckedin, fluffed up, triple combed and acting their Sunday best. I puff up with each overheard whisper of "aren't they adorable" and "they are just precious" and frankly, I couldn't agree more. Strangers ask to photograph them or be photographed with them, and I begin to think about renting them out professionally. Further, the enormity of the occasion forces them to become still and quiet. Still AND quiet, I said! (Well, technically, Lucie wasn't completely silent. She did walk down the bridesmaid line-up asking each one the name of their favorite princess.) I am so so proud.

Don't forget the dancing! The Wagner dance team can clear a dance floor! We bring the sprinkler, the lawn mower, the worm, a booty shake, and even raise the roof on occasion. Lucie attached herself to a 5-year-old and wouldn't let him go, until she discovered that he couldn't swim. "Oh well," she said. "I still love him." (Only group dating for that one.)

The longer I am married, the more meaningful the ceremony becomes. I listen to the promises that are being made, and think to myself, "they have no idea." And neither did I. But what luck that I made those promises, and that Rob was willing to make them to me. Two of us walked down that aisle 18 years ago, and now there are five. God is good.

Comments

Unknown said…
Your making me tear up!

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Like A Box of Chocolate

According to experts, chocolate is now good for you. Feel guilt no longer; chocolate is actually good for the heart, brain and libido. Can I get an amen?  That is more than the permission the kids and I needed to visit Papa during his shift at the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. If you ever find yourself cruising down I-5 through the nothingness of Lathrop, do something sweet for yourself and pit stop at Ghirardelli's ice cream shop. At $5 each, the "World Famous Hot Fudge Sundae" will not disappoint. The smell alone is enough to get your dopamine levels rising, keeping travelers bellied up to the bar like alcoholics on a binge. Thankfully, you can't get pulled over for driving home under the influence of an over-sized sundae. Although, judging by the giddiness and volume of some of the pint-sized patrons, I'd say the hot fudge can definitely affect your judgement. Life may be like a box of chocolates, but in this case, you definitely know what you are g

15 Years Ago Today ...