Skip to main content

Times, they are a changin'

Our baby is a baby no more. At 21 months, Violet grows longer by the hour, stretching out that precious baby chub. We are down to one last luscious thigh roll. Her hair retains a natural baby mullet, but when I twist it into two piggy tails at the back of her head, that dimpled smile and those sweet round cheeks melt all resolve. Although she still isn't talking, a few words have started to emerge. "Toodles" and "hot dog," both learned from her favorite Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show, aren't terribly helpful in deciphering her foot-stomping finger-pointing grunts. She'd follow Lucie to the moon, but won't hesitate to defend herself with a nasty bite. I'm not sure we'll ever convince her to give up milk bottles. In the meantime, I'm enjoying all of the nigh-night cuddles that I can.

Even petite little Lucie is growing. She's thrown nearly all of her beloved uh-ohs away, hanging on to a last lone pink one with typical ferocity. She wiggles her teeth daily, hoping for movement and the promise of a fairy visit. Letters and numbers are starting to click: she can nearly write her name and won't pass up an opportunity to find things that are four, just like her. She loves to role play, and her active imagination seldom disappoints. "Mommy" is a favorite game, and I've been chastened recently to hear her mimic what must be my unintentional mantra, "I don't have time for this!" A conversation with Lucie is always worth documenting, guaranteeing me lots of good antidotes for the lean teenage years. It is rare that we make it out the door without a fashion meltdown, and woo to the person who proposes a change in plans. Lucie has forced me to find energy reserves long hidden. Her face appears at my bedside each morning a tiny bit thinner than the day before, with crazy-haired beauty more beautiful than sunshine.

Grayson, my boy, is slowly becoming a man. His shoulders have a subtle buldge, his feet have nearly outgrown mine, and the fourth grade back-to-school supplies included deodorant. His chunky monkey toddler physique has stretched into taffy pulled long and lean. Emotions are intense, full of drama, and constantly simmering just below the surface. Nothing says love to him more than a present, preferably one purchased at GameStop. Time spent at home is "boring," only a way to pass the time in between play dates with friends. Still, he is tender hearted and affectionate, not afraid to scream, "I love you Mom!" across the summer camp courtyard. When I've had a bad day, he is the first to pick up on it, and take charge of dinner or a back rub. Watching him interact with his sisters fills me deeply. I worry about his lack of drive towards anything but the possibility of owning a puppy. This summer he learned to surf, and the freckles across his nose quadrupled in the process. I go to kiss them, and discover it is just beach tar.

The days are passing by so quickly. I can't hold on to them tightly enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Like A Box of Chocolate

According to experts, chocolate is now good for you. Feel guilt no longer; chocolate is actually good for the heart, brain and libido. Can I get an amen?  That is more than the permission the kids and I needed to visit Papa during his shift at the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory. If you ever find yourself cruising down I-5 through the nothingness of Lathrop, do something sweet for yourself and pit stop at Ghirardelli's ice cream shop. At $5 each, the "World Famous Hot Fudge Sundae" will not disappoint. The smell alone is enough to get your dopamine levels rising, keeping travelers bellied up to the bar like alcoholics on a binge. Thankfully, you can't get pulled over for driving home under the influence of an over-sized sundae. Although, judging by the giddiness and volume of some of the pint-sized patrons, I'd say the hot fudge can definitely affect your judgement. Life may be like a box of chocolates, but in this case, you definitely know what you are g

Boogie Night

Nanny Lauren was married this evening. The nuptials were celebrated with twilight toasts at the Maritime Museum, followed by dancing and merriment. Lucie couldn't stop gushing over Lauren's beautiful gown and the flowers in her hair. She sashayed around the dance floor and twirled her own frock, pausing long enough to do the worm and bust a couple of moves. Grayson was annoyed with all of the glass tinkling and the kissing that followed, but couldn't be stopped once the dance music began. The boy owned the dance floor. The sprinkler, running man, Egyptian, even his moonwalk brought the house down. Lucie was worried on the way home, though, that her participation in the wedding dance meant that she too was now married. "My want flowers in my hair when I get married," she says. "But my want pink ones."